[Sca-cooks] Vinegar

a5foil a5foil at ix.netcom.com
Sun Feb 6 13:19:01 PST 2005

AEllin scripsit:

> OK - so I'm an ordinary merchant class housewife in Norway *G* and I'm
> looking at a recipe that calls for vinegar. What kind do I think they
> mean? What do I have on hand?

I was just looking through "Two Anglo-Norman Culinary Collections" and found
a recipe calling for not only wine vinegar (vin egre 'sour wine') but also
what the authors translate as cider vinegar and ale or malt vinegar. The
manuscript is late 13th century. So presumably any or all of these would be
known to your well-to-do Norse housewife.

Cynara