[Sca-cooks]Lemons and neither Noty nor Notye

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Feb 6 20:27:41 PST 2005

I too am a librarian and recognized which source you were
using for your previous quotes. Readers ought to be aware
that the online corpus is far from complete.
http://www.hti.umich.edu/c/cme/about.html  provides the details
as to what has and hasn't been done.
(One of the benefits of being here at the UM is that I get to play on
things that aren't in the public domain yet. This was one of those
that was available locally long before it was up for the rest of the world.)

 As for those fabled ship's records C. Anne Wilson notes
that in 1289 Queen Eleanor (who was a princess from Castile)
received 15 lemons and  7 oranges. Upon her deathbed they managed
to procure her an additional 39 lemons for an outstandingly high price.
That's the only mention of lemons that I have found. One has to remember
that they didn't need lemons at that time for sour juice. For that they used
the oranges of the period which were the sour or bitter oranges.
Those we have shipping records for. Both Hammond and Wilson note those.

As to weather information, actually I'd suggest starting with a classic like
Ladurie's Times of Feast, Times of Famine: A History of Climate Since
the Year 1000.
Then run that source through a citation search through
Science Citation Abstracts and Social Science Citation Abstracts.
I suppose that if you must start with something on the web then
http://www.greeningearthsociety.org/Articles/2001/hockeybib.htm

ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY: World Wide Investigations of Climate Change
Associated

# With the Little Ice Age
# Prepared by:
# Diane Douglas-Dalziel, Ph.D.
# Arizona State University Office of Climatology

would get you started. I presume that you have access to a good geology
or sciences library for the articles
cited.

Johnnae llyn Lewis