[Sca-cooks] Devilled Eggs (was: Out of the food topic altogether rant Authenticitypolice)

henna hennar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 16:30:03 PST 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:49:13 -0500, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
<jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:
> > I was under the impression, thankfully mistaken, that stuffed hard-boiled
> > eggs, while delicious, did not exist in a medieval/renn cookbook. I haven't
> > cooked for a group since before I joined this list, so seriously looking at
> > sources is something I'm only doing now. Having been told by someone older
> > and wiser than myself that 'devilled eggs and the like are OOP', I mourned
> > but didn't question. It's delightful to find that I was misinformed.
>

> Anyway, there are lots of recipes for stuffed eggs in the pre-1650
> corpus, but the Andalusian one is the only one I've found that doesn't
> call for frying the stuffed eggs in lard before serving.

Ghecloven nonnen te maken.
Neempt eyeren ende sietse wel hert. Dan doet hen af haer scellen ende
peltse ende soe snijtse overmydts in de helicht ontwee. Dan neempt die
doderen van den selven eyeren ende stoodt dye in eenen morselle al
ontwee. Maer eerst so doet er luttele soferaens in, caneel ende
ghimbare, savie, petercelie. Ende wylt men, men doet er oock inne
pepere ende appelen. Dan stoot alle dat voerscreven staet wel ontwee
tesamen ende vult daermede dat witte vanden eyeren, daer ghi die doren
uutghetrocken hebt. Dan so bact dye eyeren in raeptsmout oft in
botere. Ende alst ghebacken es, dan stroyt ment met caneelpoedere ende
brootsuicker tegader gheminghelt opt vulsele. Ende als ghi deze eyeren
ter tafel dient, soe legtse in de schotelen metten openen opweerts, te
wetene metten vulsele opweerts.

(not my translation, from
http://www.coquinaria.nl/english/recipes/2histrecept.htm)
"Split nuns" (Stuffed eggs)
Have eggs and boil them very hard. Then take of the shell and peel
them and cut them in half lengthwise. Then take the yolks of these
eggs and grind them in a mortar. But first you add some saffron,
cinnamon and ginger, sage, parsley. And if so desired, one may add
pepper and apples. Then grind all the aforementioned well together and
stuff the whites of the eggs from wich you took the yolks with it.
Then fry the eggs in turnipfat or butter. And when [the eggs are]
fried, sprinkle ground cinnamon and loafsugar mixed together on the
stuffing. And when you serve these eggs, put them on the serving-dish
with the open side up, that is with the stuffing up

They aren't fried in lard, but in butter or turnipfat :)

--
"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but
unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"