[Sca-cooks] Mustards (was Re: Devilled Eggs)

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Tue Feb 8 12:15:03 PST 2005

On Feb 8, 2005, at 2:49 PM, Terry Decker wrote:

> Cruciferae (according to Juss) is the botanical family commonly called
> mustards.  Brassicaceae is an alternative family name put forward by
> Burnett.  The rape is genus Brassica species napus.  Common varietals
> are napus, napobrassica, annua, biennis, and pabularia.  Ain't
> taxonomy fun?

I was told about 10 years ago by my mom (the naturalist) that the term
Brassicaceae had officially supplanted Cruciferae, and was the new
"proper" family name.

I preferred cruciferae (which is more descriptive), but one must go
with the flow or sow confusion, eh?

On the other hand, it'll all be a moot point when they next revise the
taxonomic system.  It's all a plot between the textbook publishers and
the lumber cartel.

- Doc