[Sca-cooks] Perioid versus period

Carole Smith renaissancespirit2 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 8 12:15:24 PST 2005

Well, I guess I am lucky in that I was introduced to feast cooking by people who were trying to do period food.  That was over 10 years ago, and I was nowhere ready to try a period recipe straight out of a cookbook from our period.  The idea terrified me.

Since then I have found that it isn't that difficult to find good food in period cookbooks, but it does take some research.  If people aren't willing to put the time to do that research but they are interested in cooking period food, I am always willing to give them a copy of my redaction of a couple of dishes to get them started.

I haven't cooked an SCA feast in several years, but I keep my hand in.  Most people I know now expect me to bring a period dish to a potluck, whether in the SCA or not.  And they trust that it will be tasty, even if it looks a bit strange to the modern eye.

If I moved to a different part of the Knowne Worlde I would offer to help with a feast or two before offering to be in charge of one.  If people don't expect period food, my guess is that it has to be introduced in a relatively painless manner, and not all at once.

Cordelia Toser
Crosston, Mists, West