[Sca-cooks] Lemons in Middle English

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Feb 8 12:42:07 PST 2005

According to Mark Anderson, it was an accidental controlled experiment.
http://www.riparia.org/scurvy_hx.htm

I did a little further checking and found that this was the first voyage of
the East India company fleet.  Lancaster's logs from the voyage have
disappeared.  Further information of the voyage can be found in Samuel
Purchas' Hakluytus post-hummus, or Purchas his Pilgrims, 1625 and Sir
Clements Markham's
 The Voyages of Sir James Lancaster, Hakluyt Society, 1877.  The earlier
voyage of James Lancaster appears in Hakluyt's Voyages, but is not included
in the abridged edition I have.

Anderson's article is interesting because it covers some of the
considerations of scurvy and the citrus treatment prior to Lind.

Bear