[Sca-cooks] Citrus, Scurvy and The Royal Navy

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Tue Feb 8 17:19:11 PST 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> > Perhaps his subordinate captains refused his suggestion that they try
> > the juice?
> >

> > Thorvald
>
> I'm wondering why they would do that?  Unless they had heard rumors that
citrus juice caused some
> kind of ill-effect, or something of that nature, I can't see why they
would have refused to try
> it.  I mean, what did they have to lose?  If it worked, great!!  If it
didn't, it's no
> matter....business as usual I suppose.  It couldn't hurt, right?
>
> Interesting.
>
> William de Grandfort

Probably, if they refused, it would come down to money. Why would these
skippers necessarily want to spend money out of their pockets on a "maybe"?
Keep in mind, they worked on shares, usually, and if the ship owners didn't
approve of a particular expense, then it would come out of their own
profits.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.