[Sca-cooks] Out of the food topic altogether rantAuthenticitypolice

Patrick Levesque patrick.levesque at elf.mcgill.ca
Tue Feb 8 19:21:58 PST 2005

Most of his thread lies on differing pedagogical methods, into which I won't
get because actually, various methods can and do achieve similar results.
However, I'd like to clarify a few things.

The SCA makes a requirement that anybody attending an event for the first
time should wear a decent attempt at medieval garb. This of course leaves
the door open to various interpretations.

Personally, I believe it's the same thing with cooking. Anybody who's new at
cooking should make a decent attempt at recreating 'medieval-like' food.

I won't trust a whole feast on an untrained cook, obviously (both as a
slightly more experienced cook, and as baronial seneschal). The example I
had in mind earlier was our recent feast for the East Kingdom King and
Queen's Rapier Championship. There are two cooks in our groups who can
handle this kind of feast, lady Hawise and myself. There were also two new
individuals who displayed interest in cooking for events. Given our busy
event schedule this year, neither Hawise nor I could handle the feast on our
own. (I was already planning our Baronial Investiture - as period as I can
make it - for March 5. That, raising a family, full-time work, full-time
doctoral thesis and being seneschal didn't leave me enough time for another
feast so close to it). We therefore made a joint feast, including our two
untrained cooks.

One of them, who was cooking for the very first time, set out to make meat
pastries. They were totally undocumented, made of chicken, carrots, apple
and spices in a pastry pocket. They did not feel blatantly out of period and
this was probably unnoticed by anyone except those who had previously
researched period foods.

The other had cooked small (30 persons) feasts before, without caring for
periodness at all. (The horrible episode of the Oreo-cookie pie springs to
mind... Don't ask...). We assigned him two dishes: a carrot salad from the
Romanian cookbook, and a generic losynge recipe. We didn't ask him to do the
research as we knew quite well he didn't have time to do so. He did work out
some palatable recipes from the instruction given to him (losynges were
good) and, as such, made a first step towards a more period-friendly
approach to sca cookery.

Hawise and I took care of the other dishes, which came from a motley
assortment of period sources.

The feasts thus included mostly period recipes (if not, in some cases,
thoroughly researched) but was not in any way a period feast, given the
various temporal and geographic provenance of the said dishes. Hence the
period-oid term.

Nonetheless, I believe it was a 'decent attempt' at recreating a medieval
atmosphere.

In the circumstances, I also believe this to be more than acceptable as a
solution. We started to train two new cooks in large-feast kitchen logistic,
and since the entire feast was planned between the four of us, they got a
hint of what constitutes a (so-called) period feast. This is better than
letting them loose and eating Boeuf Bourguignon or Oreo-cookie pie. This is
also better than not eating at all.

Petru