[Sca-cooks] Re: pots and pans

UlfR ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Tue Feb 8 22:23:19 PST 2005

she not <atamagajobu at yahoo.com> [2005.02.09] wrote:
> I like cast iron =personal preference and because it's the only period
> cooking implement I dare use-don't know where to get my copper pots
> retinned, and as for ceramics, well, I drop things..although bean pots
> and romertopfs are fun to use until i do.

What is the latest version of the truth regarding cast iron? I've
allways been told it is late, but I've never researched the question
myself.

Personally I'm looking at having the spare money to get one of the local
armourers to make me a set of pots from plain iron plate, just like the
ones found in viking age Scandinavian finds. Rumor has that you can
still get iron pots in Hungary that look very close to 15th century
pictures, but I've never seen them myself so I don't know for a fact.

> cauldrons are wonderful utensils, everybody should have one,
> especially me.  kettles that hang on chains from tripods are great for
> adjusting heat when the pyromaniacs have been at the fire..and well
> designed tripods can double as spits..

Any pyromaniac that "adjusts" my cooking fire is expected to "de-adjust"
it using their bare hands or loose the same[1]. Actually the group I
camp with are well trained, and would never interfere with things they
have no business messing with.

UlfR

[1] I try to cultivate a "scary" image, at least when it comes to
messing with my cooking; it keep them from bothering me in fest
kitchens, from running court an extra hour or two just before the feast,
and from messing with my cooking fires (including from using up all the
firewood). I suspect that they are not quite certain if my offer of
adding body parts to the stock-pot is genuine or not, and they *know* I
would serve feast on time, and let the populance choose between food and
court. Actually I tell them that I can handle delays fine, just give me
*at least* 3-4 hours lead time.

UlfR Ketilson                               ulfr at hunter-gatherer.org
Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite.  (Lazarus Long)