[Sca-cooks] Citrus, Scurvy and The Royal Navy

Jeff Gedney gedney1 at iconn.net
Wed Feb 9 12:23:02 PST 2005

Venturing companies (and government "Navies" in time of war) had to pay restitution and/or pensions to widows and orphans of crewmen lost in legitimate action or accident, according to the various laws such as the Law of Oleron.

They did not have to pay for criminals killed for offense, deserters, muntineers, and victims of crew to crew violent crime aboard ship.

They DID have to pay for the hospitalization or upkeep of men who were disabled and had to be placed in the care of whatever hospital facilies are nearest.

How much these laws were complied with on a regular basis is unknown, but it is pretty clear that care and maintenance of sick men ashore and afloat was a significant expense.

It is also clear that these expenses were often only partially paid and often only after a great deal of intercession and legal challenge.
Naturally the worst sufferers were men who were not in the care of a "good" captain who believed that he was feudally responsible for those in his charge. Many captains and ssome admirals were beggared and some totally ruined in the days after the Armada, as the practice was that the crewmen had to be paid as soon as they set foot on land, and the promised payment to the ships owners and captains for their service was very slow in coming from the Admiralty. Consequently the men were forced to remain on board for several months, *in harbor*, eating rotten food and drinking foul water and sour beer. There was an epidemic through the fleet, and many captains were forced to set men ashore and make up their care and pay out of their personal funds.

Good book on the subject:
"Medicine and the Navy 1200-1900" by JJ Keevil (2 vols)

also
Enterprise of England the Spanish Armada
by Roger Whiting

The enterprise of England; an account of her emergence as an oceanic power.
by Woodrooffe, Thomas

Capt Elias
-Renaissance Geek of the Cyber Seas

If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather
wood, divide the work, and give orders.  Instead, teach them
to yearn for the vast and endless sea.
  - Antoine de Saint Exupery