[Sca-cooks] a Lenten question-

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Thu Feb 10 07:48:31 PST 2005

I figured to just go with 14th century England, as that's the closest
I've been able to get to sources for food for my 14th c. Irish persona.
  Since she lives in Dublin, she's got English influences at work
anyways.  Plus, my cookbooks are all either of that time frame, or late
Elizabethan!
I'd figured on no meat, no dairy products (no milk, eggs, etc.).  Fish
okay.  Period recipes if at all possible, and lordie knows, there are a
LOT of them for Lent!  There's only me to cook for, so I will probably
concentrate on a couple of pottages or tart-type dishes that I can
reheat.  And I'm more artisan-class than noble (regardless of SCA rank),
so I'm likely to go for the not-extremely-fancy recipes.
Other than that, I'm pretty much in the dark about other period lenten
practices.  Did they, for instance, do a total fast on Good Friday? Were
the hours during which they ate restricted, as with current Islamic
practices? What did they fudge on, and how? (besides beaver tail and
barnacle goose) That sort of thing....
--maire