[Sca-cooks] Basque, Northern Spain, Catalan, Southern France

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Thu Feb 10 15:14:43 PST 2005

Maire commented:
> It occurs to me, though, that you might find some mentions of regional
> foods in pilgrimage accounts from people going to Compostela and such.
> It's not an area of inquiry I know very much about (although I'd love
> to....what little I know has seriously whetted my appetite), so I may
> be
> off-base, but it's an idea, anyways....
Here is one source from the p-travl-guides-msg file in the TRAVEL
section of the Florilegium:
p-travl-guides-msg (10K)  9/21/04    Period travel guides.

> Subject: ANST - Period Travel Guides
> Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2001 19:40:42 -0400
> From: fitzmorgan at cs.com
> To: ansteorra at ansteorra.org
>
> > I assume that people wrote "travel guides" during the Middle Ages and
> > Renaissance. Have any survived? Where can they be found? What do they
> > cover?
> >
> > Jovian
>
> Look for "The Pilgrims Guide To Santiago De Compostela"   Written in ,
> think, the 12th Century.  and translated by William Melczer.  Italica
> Press,
> INC.  ISBN 0-934977-25-9 for $17.50 if it's still in print.  This is a
> travel
> guide for pilgrims telling of dangers to avoid and sites to see on your
> pilgrimage.
>       It tells which rivers you can safely drink from and which are
> unsafe.
> It says some rude things about the Basque.  And tells short stories
> about the
> many Saints who's shrines you will see on the way.  It's well worth
> reading.
>
> Robert Fitzmorgan
> Barony of Northkeep

Note also the comments about drinking water from the rivers. So, here
is another source indicating that they did indeed drink water in
period.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas