[Sca-cooks] RE: Dutch Recipes was Scary Period Food

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 12:55:30 PST 2005

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:55:45 -0500, Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
<jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:
> Um... dumb question... people keep talking about beef here-- why? Also,
> I'm wondering if this recipe is for something cut off during neutering
> of the sheep, or for something that you get when you slaughter the
> wether... I guess I don't know all that much about period methods of
> neutering rams. Nowadays an elastic band is used around the testicles,
> so the penis wouldn't be removed until slaughtering.

It more than likely the penis wouldn't be removed until slaughter in period
as well.  The animal would die of blood loss or infection long before
it would die of not being able to pee.  Unless they had some bizarre need
for complex surgery, and long animal care and recovery time, this wouldn't
be feasible.

I don't have any neutering info for in period, but I know in the pre-rubber
band days, everything from wet leather bands to wire ties were used for
this process.  The only problem is that this relies on it dieing over time
and they sorta dry out and fall off somewhere in the pasture out yonder.

I also think that they may have just cut them off and cauterized
the wound with a hot iron.   I remember Platina mentioning that  the method
for making capons from roosters was to rip the testicles off with your hand and
then cauterize it with a hot iron.  I can see enterprising medieval farmers
doing much the same for the year old sheep.  I don't believe that medieval
farmers would have let a potential foodstuff go to waste in their fields.

If I remember right, there is an Animal Husbandry laurel on this list and
they may be able to answer this question. Marcus! Help!

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson