[Sca-cooks] a Lenten question-

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Fri Feb 11 17:18:27 PST 2005

Also sprach Jeff Gedney:
>I am sure that he meant St Augustine...
>He is responsible for a lot of the church doctrine that comes out of
>the era... including promulgating the formerly Manichean (a quasi
>Christian sect he belonged to in his wilder youth) Doctrine of Good
>and Evil, God and Devil, being opposite and constantly warring forces.
>He was a prolific writer and Christian philosopher, and basically
>crushed the Pelagian "heresy".

Interesting, since the Pelagian "heresy" is one of the more sensible
interpretations of Christianity, IMO. But yes, he was instrumental in
halting its spread.

I like the story about Saint Jerome and Pelagius. They were hundreds
of miles apart, on their respective deathbeds, communicating by mail,
and Pelagius, whom Jerome had previously described as a fat dog,
stuffed to the bursting point with disgusting Scottish porridge,
begged Jerome to forgive him his trespasses, so they might stand as
comrades before God in the hereafter. Jerome, of course, ever the
patron saint of 2005, responded to his dear brother in Christ's
request by saying, in essence, that the possibility of Pelagius
standing before God wasn't anything he needed to worry about, and
whatever is the Vulgate Latin for "screw you". Essentially, the last
scene in the movie, "The War of the Roses".

Gotta love that Saint Jerome...

Adamantius

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782