[Sca-cooks] Liver and Lamb, for Jadwiga.

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Feb 12 14:26:04 PST 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Nope, I mean mutton (and older lamb, but young lamb is ok) Even
> undercooked mutton doesn't work for me.

OK, then in that case, make sure that whatever piece you try has no fat on
it. If it needs fat, lard it or bard it with pork or beef fat- most of the
specificly "sheep" flavor is in the fat, as in most meats, and that may be
why you can't stand older lamb or mutton.

> Periodically, I try some liver at the house of a friend whose cooking I
> trust... I had great hopes of chicken liver, but I can only tolerate it
> when it is completely ground up (as in the Jewish Dish of Chicken and
> Stuffing we did for Conviviencia).

Texture, them, rather than flavor. Ask your friend to undercook it, and
explain why.

> Periodically, I re-try foods, but it's absolutely true that I won't be
> able to tolerate certain foods for years, and suddenly like them. My
> poor mother lived through several years of me rising up at midnight and
> making myself fried onions after I became able to eat them. :)
>
> --
> -- Jadwiga

Onions are a bit odd- they tend to get rathher a strong sulphur flavor if
over-cooked, and I think that's pretty similar to the flavor that so many
kids hate in cooked cabbage- it's a genetic taste thing, some of us have it,
some don't, and some of us can taste "around" it, if it isn't too strong, as
I can do with cilantro.

Have you ever tried foie gras, or braunschweiger? Can you tolerate them?

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.