[Sca-cooks] dealing with mundane cooks

Lawrence Bayne shonsu_78 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 11:17:15 PST 2005

Speaking as a cook with 37 years mundane experience
under my belt I believe that I can see both your point
as well as theirs.

They are coming from a viewpoint of "whatever it takes
to get a quality product finished will be done."

Whereas you are coming from the viewpoint of a
hobbyist who wishes to experience as many of the
happenings of the period kitchen as possible.

However, how many of us would give up our food
processors and turn to at grinding POUNDS of spices in
a mortar and pestle.

How many of us buy our fowl from the butcher rather
than chasing one down, wringing it's neck, and then
plunging it into boiling water before sitting down to
an hour of plucking.

The list can go on, including whatever odious task
that the individual does not care for doing. Period
kitchens had drudges for these tasks, we do not.

There has to be a happy medium where we can find
common ground. As you are the expert in your
situation, it is up to YOU, dear sir, to enlighten
this person as to what you want. IF they do not
understand, or they are incapable of capitulating,
then THEY are at fault and should not be allowed to
play with sharp objects or be around hot pots and
pans.
YIS
Lothar von Schwartzschild
--- "Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius"