[Sca-cooks] a Lenten question, and a frivolous answer

Sue Clemenger mooncat at in-tch.com
Wed Feb 16 06:22:27 PST 2005

Thank you, thank you very much.  I'd managed to forget allll about
Easter Candy.  *sigh* I'm gonna have to stock up on my favorites and
then let them live at someone else's house.  (Cadbury mini eggs and Dove
truffle eggs...oooooh....<maire swoons>)
Interesting question about pilgrims and lent--I'm afraid I don't know.
Betcha practices varied, just as the understanding and practice of lent
itself changed.  It might depend on why the people were on pilgrimage
(e.g., if you were repenting of some really grievous sins, you might be
especially vigilant, but if you were just having a good time, like some
of Chaucer's pilgrims, and you had the funds, perhaps you got
dispensations to eat meat and such).  Or maybe the season for going on
pilgrimage didn't start till after Lent.
--maire, engaging in fruitless speculation (oh, wait....I can *have*
fruit during Lent! ;-)