[Sca-cooks] online resume was So you want to be a MedievalorRenaissance Cook?

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Wed Feb 16 11:53:22 PST 2005

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise wrote:

> > There are *two* kinds of problems ...
> >
> > (1) I am not seeing the medievalbeads.com website.

[snip]

This link did not work for me:
http://www.medievalbeads.com/evergreen/companions/johnnae.shtml

But this link did work for me:
http://216.22.30.74/evergreen/companions/johnnae.shtml

> > ... That's what DNS (Domain Name Server) are for!
>
> Yup, and it sounds like there's one in your domain that
> is not taking updates. Happens.

Yes, it seemed to be a Domain Name Server (DNS) issue.

This morning when I used a different PC, I was able to
access the medievalbeads website even though the original
PC still could not.  (You see, I have some 'flexibility'
as to which PC to use ... until December 2004, I was
running SETI at home with 14 PCs on my home LAN  <g>)

After I temporarily disabled Norton Ad Blocking, the
www.medievalbeads.com website could be accessed by
either PC.

Somehow, Norton Ad Blocking gave a false positive on

www.medievalbeads.com
              ^^^^^^^
Norton saw 'ads.com' ... recognized it as an ad server
... and blocked the site!

On the first PC it also blocks domain names ending in
leads.com, meads.com, beads.com, etc.

Bad Norton.  No biscuit.

Why did one PC fail and not the other?

Those two PCs have very different versions of Norton ...
because of two very different operating system versions.  ...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ...
	Computers ...
		Software ...
			Troubleshooting ...
				Solutions ...

AND ... *always* double-check.

> > (2) Yes ...

[snip]

> > Some translations ...
> >
> >       %7Eiasmin       ~Eiasmin
>
> Nope, %7E is ~  so %7Eiasmin is ~iasmin

Yes that is true.  Good catch.  Thanks.

> --
> -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika

_very_ good 'Knowledge Pika'  <g>

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick

SETI at home Statistics:
http://setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/fcgi?email=mdiehl%40nac.net&cmd=user_stats_new