[Sca-cooks] a Lenten question-

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 17 13:08:18 PST 2005

Marcus Loidolt <mjloidolt at yahoo.com> wrote:
>Anahita,
>An idea for researching Lenten foods for Christians in
>the ME/Persia, Babylonia, Assyria, look into your
>local Orthodox Church! The Syrian Orthodox as well as
>the Chaldean Orthodox and Chaldean Catholic Churches
>have kept many of their cultural traditions alive and
>are usually quite willing to share! You may find out
>alot more than just foodstuffs!
>
>Where are you located? There may be a community in
>your area.
>
>Johann
>If not let me know, we have a large Syrian Orthodox
>Church about a block away from us, St. George's has
>always been willing to share many of its cultural
>traditions.

I appreciate your suggestions.

But for the purposes of this list, i'm interested in SCA period food,
and while there are doubtless some modern versions of old foods that
continue in use, there's no way to know for certain.

However, my interest in food extends well beyond SCA period, so i'll
take a look around and see if we have some of these churches in the
area - i suspect we do. I've been to Armenian church festivals
locally and i know there are also many Lebanese Christians here as
well.

If i don't find anything locally, i may contact you off-list for more
information.

Thanks, again.

Anahita