[Sca-cooks] recipes without honey

Bill Fisher liamfisher at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 17:54:59 PST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 20:14:59 -0500, Morses3 at aol.com <Morses3 at aol.com> wrote:
> A member of my barony not on the list posed the question about the use of honey in feast recipes when there are known to be several members present who are diabetic and can't eat honey. Her concern is that with the prevalence of honey as a sweetenerin our period, that she wouldn't be able to find enough recipes to cook to offer an alternative "sweet" dish in her feast menus that those people could eat that she could still serve to everyone. Any thoughts?
>
> Geoffrey

That is a hard one to carry out since all the period
sweeteners are sugar or honey based (that I know of,
if I am wrong someone will surely correct me).

What she may want to do is instead of focusing the
sweets coming from sugars, maybe try alternate grains
like spelt and millet for making doughs, or focusing
on the spicing and  herb usage to make the eater
think it is a sweet item.  Maybe even rice.

I'm getting around for work, so I can't go any further
into this at the moment.   But I can't see any way
to make it sweet without having much the same
impact on the diabetics as the sugars.

Cadoc

                                    - William Gibson