Rant on research; was, Re: [Sca-cooks] Re: Coffyns

Martin G. Diehl mdiehl at nac.net
Fri Feb 18 12:17:06 PST 2005

"Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius" wrote:

> Also sprach Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise:

[snip]

> >How long ago was it that Peter Brears' _All the King's
> >Cooks_ was panned on this list for NOT HAVING ORIGINALS
> >of the recipes, never mind the goldmine of information
> >about how the tudor kitchens worked?
>
> Again, I don't recall that it was. I think people said
> they wished he'd included the original recipes.

I searched my SCA-Cooks eMail folder and found that I have
70 messages with that title as either subject or text.

I didn't read all of the 68 old messages, but there was
quite a bit of back and forth discussion about including
v. not including original source ... in order to check the
accuracy of the readaction as printed.

Some voiced the opinion (YOU know who you are <g>) that
they would never use and/or trust a reference that omitted
the original text.

The SCA-Cooks archives should help with reserching this
authorship question ... see August and September of 2003.

[snip]

> Adamantius

Vincenzo

--
Martin G. Diehl

http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?ByArtist=Yes&Artist=MGD

Reality: That which remains after you stop thinking about it.
  inspired by P. K. Dick