[Sca-cooks] a Lenten question, and a frivolous answer

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 18 15:51:25 PST 2005

OK - Medieval Rule and Modern Practice Confusion.(As well there might be
- we've been talking about both!)

In the Medieval Roman Catholic Church in Europe Lent was a time of Fast
and Abstinence. One limited amounts of food, and one abstained from all
animal products (except fish.) Notice there is *nothing* here about
avoiding sweets or alcohol or delicious meals.

In the Modern Roman Catholic Church (I won't speak for any others,) Lent
  is a time for spiritual discipline, handled in several ways. One
continues to abstain from meat (but no longer eggs or dairy) on Fridays.
And it is considered a Good Thing to find some other discipline to
follow. The most traditional, and most common, is that of Giving
Something Up. But now, we generally give up something we consider a
luxury, or, perhaps, a minor vice... Sweets are common. Alcohol. My dad
used to give up cigarettes, until the year he simply didn't start
again... Other people add something - bible reading, daily Mass - or
control something - temper with the nasty co-worker... It's all very
personal. The ideal is to do something difficult and/or spiritually
rewarding  for you.

Now, some of this may vary with location. I do candy sampling,and I've
had English tourists say "No, thanks, I'm Catholic" so often I gather
giving up sweets must be standard in England. It's common, here in the
US, but not required. (I've never had an American give that explanation,
though I have no doubt it is one factor.)

I know many non-Catholics also give things up. Other Christians have
their own practices. And, as we have seen here,some non-Christians do
it, for their own reasons.  I recently read someone saying her very
secular family gives things up in Lent, because they feast at Christmas,
and believe there must be a balance. Again, it is very personal.

AEllin