[Sca-cooks] Re: Coffyns

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Sat Feb 19 14:29:22 PST 2005

UlfR commented:
> Micheal <dmreid at hfx.eastlink.ca> [2005.02.17] wrote:
> > I working away in my kitchen one day when a thought hit me.  It hurt
> (
> > before anyone else gets it)You know they had pots and pans made by
> > hand.
> > Why wouldn`t they have used such for a shaping mold.  Flip the pot
> > bottom
> > side up. Take the pastry throw it on top of your cleanest pot of
> > appropiate
>
> Because said pot -- unless you specially cleaned it -- would have an
> outer covering of soot and various resins from the wood used to cook.
> This is a job that takes time (I would not be surprised if the local
> carpenter could make a wooden form in less time), and also lowers the
> efficency of the pot (because the bright metal has a poorer black body
> behaviour).
Yes, i think the wooden form makes more sense, rather than the pot.
Another point against using the outside of the pot is the shape of the
pot. Most pots are round, since that is a shape easily "thrown" on a
potter's wheel. While I understand that a coffyn is rectangular in
shape, hence the transference of the word to the box we bury people in.

So, if a mold is used, I suspect it would have been a simple wooden
one. But I'm still not convinced that they would have gone to the
expense of a mold. Simply flatten out the dough into a sheet, cut slits
or a wedge at the corners, fold up the sides and meld the corners
together. What's the advantage of a mold over doing that?

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com