[Sca-cooks] Re: Coffyns

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Sun Feb 20 12:35:32 PST 2005

Karen Hess in her commentary to Martha Washington's
Booke of Cookery writes that
"A coffin is a mold made of pastry. the word comes from
Old French cofin and finally from Greek cophinos, meaning basket
(OED). While they could be any shape, they seem to have been rectangular
as often as not, judging by the occasional specification for a round coffin,
as in this recipe. They were closed unless directed otherwise."
Page 83.

Johnnae