[Sca-cooks] Speaking of Lent -- Ice Axe Report

ranvaig at columbus.rr.com ranvaig at columbus.rr.com
Mon Feb 21 20:22:48 PST 2005

>Stefan li Rous wrote:
>
>>Cynara said:
>>
>>>Instead of butter for browning the vegetables, I used olive oil.
>>
>>So, why olive oil specifically?
>

>I would assume either health or making it easier not to burn the
>vegetables, or both. I would imagine that lard would be an option.
>What about some of the fish oils? Can you cook in those?

Lard would not be used in Lent, and we are still talking about Lent, I think.

I'm not sure even Christian Vikings would follow Lent restrictions,
they probably would use lard or butter.

According to Mistress Thora, evidence of rapeseed oil was found in
Viking Dublin.  Rape is a type of mustard now marketed as canola oil,
and might be a good choice if you want to avoid lard.  That's what I
use for Viking reenactment.

Ranvaig