[Sca-cooks] pease porridge?

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 16:29:54 PST 2005

How about Perry of Peson from Forme of Cury?
Original:
Perry of Peson XX .III.XX
Take peson and seep him saft and cove hem til (th)ei berst.  (th)enne take up hem and cole hem thurgh a cloth.  take oynons and mynce he and see(th) he in the esame sewe and oile (th)with.  cast (th)to sugur, salt, and safron,  and see(th) hem well (th)aft and sue hem forth.

My adaptation:
1 lb. lentils
1 small onion
1 TBS. olive oil
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
pinch saffron

Cover the lentils with cold water, bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat, and simmer until they begin to burst (about half an hour.)  Strain them from the broth, reserving the broth.  Puree them with a blender or food processor, then strain through cheesecloth.  Mince the onion and boil it in the broth with the oil until tender.  Add the lentils back to the broth return it to the boil, stirring constantly to avoid sticking.  Serve immediately.

I used lentils instead of New World peas.  I suppose you could also use black eyed peas or the elusive "white" peas.  At this time of year, you'd be using dried peas, so cooking time would be more.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise <jenne at fiedlerfamily.net> wrote:
Anybody got a good redaction of pease porridge?

Pat Griffin
Lady Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook
Shire of Thorngill, Meridies