[Sca-cooks] pease porridge?

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 20:39:01 PST 2005

>From discussions on this list since at least 1997, and my own independent study, I am not happy with any of the common "peas" available.
"English" peas or garden peas were developed fairly recently in France, I believe.  Black eyed peas and field peas and cow peas and purple crowders are all related and come out of Africa.  Navy peas, and white peas found on most grocery shelves are of New World origin.  The garden peas named by Gerard do not seem available, having been replaced in the main by the varieties developed in the 17th and 18th century.  Of the nine peas and beans listed by Gerard, only four still seem to be readily available: lentils, favas, chick peas, and a standard white pea still eaten in Western Europe according to Adamantius.  The "green" pea mentioned in many recipes of our time seem to be the fresh, immature form of this same white pea.  Because I don't have access or knowledge of that one, I choose to use lentils, which are readily available, and lend themselves quite well to the recipes calling for peas.

Daniel Myers <edouard at medievalcookery.com> wrote:

Aren't peas (both green and white) old world plants? They both show up
in enough recipes.

I've found dried white peas in large bags in the Indian (India) section
of the grocery store - labeled "Vatana".

- Doc

Pat Griffin
Lady Anne du Bosc
known as Mordonna the Cook