[Sca-cooks] Re: pease porridge?

smcclune at earthlink.net smcclune at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 25 09:39:27 PST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Pat <mordonna22 at yahoo.com>

"English" peas or garden peas were developed fairly recently in France, I believe.  Black eyed peas and field peas and cow peas and purple crowders are all related and come out of Africa.  Navy peas, and white peas found on most grocery shelves are of New World origin.  The garden peas named by Gerard do not seem available, having been replaced in the main by the varieties developed in the 17th and 18th century.  Of the nine peas and beans listed by Gerard, only four still seem to be readily available: lentils, favas, chick peas, and a standard white pea still eaten in Western Europe according to Adamantius.
<<<

There's a lovely illustration of peas in pods in the Catherine hours -- I'm recalling that the peas were golden/yellow in color.  Unfortunately, nobody seems to have scanned it and put it on line anywhere yet.  Would that be of any help in identifying the variety of peas in question?  I could probably scan it in and toss it out on my website next week if folks want a look ...

Arwen
Outlands