[Sca-cooks] pease porridge?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Feb 26 12:47:12 PST 2005

The field pea is Pisum sativum var. arvense and is of Eurasian origin.
Black-eyed peas and cowpeas are Vigna unguiculata and are believed to be of
African origin.

The European "white" pea appears to be a variety of field pea.

The garden pea is Pisum sativum sativum and it's been around a long time.
Petite pois, a dwarf version of the garden pea, was being eaten in France
during the 14th Century.

The navy pea and the white pea you mention together are better known as the
navy bean or white pea bean.  The are members of Phaseolus and are of New
World origin.

If you attempt to use Gerard or any of the early taxonimists to determine
what modern peas were in use then, you will have problems.  What were once
classified as a number of different species have been have been rolled into
Pisum sativum (for example, P. majus and P. minus are considered high bush
and low bush variants).

Bear