[Sca-cooks] cardamom (was rosewater)

Samrah auntie_samrah at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 26 13:49:30 PST 2005

With all due respect, I will have to disagree with Jadwiga on this one.  Not getting uppity or snippy here, my herbalist soul craves whole and/or fresh anything whenever available, and cardamom is my favorite spice ;o)  My family has used both ground and whole cardamom for generations.

Yes, the ground stuff does lose its potency faster than whole spice.  All spices do. (I never use ground nutmeg, always grate whole myself.)  But if you start with a fresh ground cardamom, preferably from an Indian market, it will be fine for several months.  Then you can add more spice or purchase new spice.

I paid $8 for 7 oz whole, and about $3.50 for 3-1/2 oz. ground in the beginning of December.  Both are still in good shape.  The prices at regular (ie, non-ethnic) markets for cardamom can be outrageous, even wholesale.  And, in my experience, the quality is not as nice, even from the "high-class" type suppliers/establishments.  Much better to deal with Indian markets if you can find one.

Samrah
(in mostly sunny Wintermist, Caid, mka Bakersfield, California)

PS.  I have also used essential oil of cardamom as a flavoring.  It is expensive, but very nice.

Thus spaketh Jadwiga, honourable herbalist and cardamom-lover: