[Sca-cooks] fire-irons/salamanders and torches

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Sat Feb 26 14:42:12 PST 2005

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> So, do you use them directly as a heat source? Or do you use them to
> heat something else which then heats/browns the food item? Are there
> any particular tricks to using a propane torch for this? Perhaps using
> a flame spreader attachment rather than the usual 1/2 inch diameter
> nozzle? Do you point the torch at the food or more at the air above the
> food? Perhaps I ought to experiment with a slice of cheese on bread
> before trying this on something like Savory Tosted cheese or Creme
> Brulee, where I've already spent some time.
>
> I suspect that a shop propane torch would tend to burn with a hotter,
> more intense flame than the usual kitchen torches, even if they are
> also fueled by propane.
>
> Stefan

I've never actually used one for the purpose, but I've seen them used on
Iron Chef and other Food Network shows all the time ( I just don't do sweets
much).

When they use them, they apply them directly to the food, using the distance
from the food to regulate the flame. I saw one guy using a fan-type flame,
but most of the rest of them use the flame in a regular type nozzle, and
control it by moving it around, just as you might if heating a larger piece
of metal. The flame is usually applied directly to the food, although I
don't see any reason why you couldn't heat a metal object and apply that to
the food, if that's what you wanted to do.

As far as the difference between a "culinary" torch, and a shop torch, I
suspect the difference is in price, rather than anything significantly
different in the two torches- it looks to me like someone got a bright idea,
looking at someone's shop torch, and popularized it, and the cooking stores
picked up on the idea. Looking....

Yeah, about as I thought. Checked Harbor Freight, and you can get your
choice of torches that would do the job for $10 or $20, depending on whether
you want an electric start on it, whereas Chefs catalogue will sell you a
"creme brulee" torch for $30, discounted from $40.

I'd suggest, if you want one, you get the Harbor Freight, and just make
sure, when you get the fuel, you get propane rather than Mapp gas or other
fuels. Propane breaks down into CO, CO2, and H2O- other fuels are likely to
leave odd chemicals behind, including sulpher compounds.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.