[Sca-cooks] Re: coffyns

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Feb 26 15:15:14 PST 2005

Town ordinances often limited the use of ovens in town, so the baker
provided oven space for a fee.  Bring in your loaf, pie or what have you and
the baker would bake it.  A village without a baker would often have a
communal oven with an ovenkeeper to do the baking.  If a local lord had the
oven privilege, then he would provide an oven and ovenkeeper and collect the
fee for its use.

Those townsfolk with money tended to buy their bread, cakes and pies ready
made (Menagier bought trencher bread from the baker for a wedding dinner).
And if you need a specialty item cut a deal with the baker.  If the baker
prepared raised coffins, I suspect it was a special job.

Noble households also hired bakers (under the same fees and requirements set
by the Lucrum Pistoris, for England at any rate).  Since most of the
cookbooks we reference are probably from noble or royal households, then the
instructions are for the division of labor between the kitchen and the
bakery within the household (a key issue for accounting within the
household).  That might not translate to business for the town baker.

Bear