[Sca-cooks] Re: coffyns

Daniel Myers edouard at medievalcookery.com
Sat Feb 26 18:46:15 PST 2005

On Feb 26, 2005, at 12:26 AM, Micheal wrote:

>  Okay I  agree with you right up to the baker and his pans or traps if
> you prefer. Instead of borrowing pans why not have yonder good wife
> take her mix in a covered bowl to the baker. After all most recipes
> talk about turning over the ingredients to the pastier and asking for
> the right kind of coffin or pastry  for it.  Tends to give the baker a
> lot of business even in a smallish town.

I remember reading that in London there were set fees (by law?) for
having one's chicken baked in a crust at the pastler - something like
2p.

Buy a freshly killed and cleaned chicken at the market, and take it to
the pastler who wraps it in dough and bakes it in the bread baker's
oven (giving the baker a cut of the fee).

I'll see if I can dig up the reference tomorrow.

- Doc