[Sca-cooks] pease please and beans

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Feb 26 20:29:53 PST 2005

There are a number of varieties of fava beans.  Broad beans are another name
for favas.  I've never encountered the idea that the broad bean is extinct,
so I would assume it is erroneous until you can verify the source.

Chickpeas have been found in Neolithic sites in Switzerland.  Chickpeas and
lentils have been widely used in Europe for around 10,000 years.

Black-eyed peas have been eaten in Europe since Antiquity particularly in
Southern Europe.  Where the term "phaseolus" is used prior to 1492, the
subject is probably Vigna unguiculata.  This is the original "kidney bean."

The beans described by Gerard are probably all of New World origin.
Gerard's taxonomy has been replaced by the Linnean taxonomy, so one needs to
be careful with Gerard's nomenclature.

Just for giggles, here's a site that give relationships between common names
for various beans:

http://www.foodsubs.com/Beans.html

They use "field pea" for the adzuki bean, which may mean that "field pea"
may have regional meanings as well as referring to actual field peas.

Bear