Ang: [Sca-cooks] bread puddings

Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius adamantius.magister at verizon.net
Sun Feb 27 06:35:39 PST 2005

Also sprach Bill Fisher:
>On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:07:55 -0500, Phil Troy / G. Tacitus Adamantius
><adamantius.magister at verizon.net> wrote:
>>  "Burnt" sugar syrup, straight up, or mixed with something (say,
>>  cream) to give it a sauce consistency? In the US a caramel sauce
>>  tends to be the latter, as opposed to a caramel syrup, or simply,
>>  caramel (which can also be diluted, but to a lesser extent).
>
>Both have their merits,

Sure do. I was only pointing out an issue of clarity, since to many
Americans, and that seems to be most of the list, "caramel sauce" is
still a very specific thing, and sometimes that specific thing is
that light-brown goo in a jar that people sometimes microwave and put
over ice cream. If Ana had said, "Make a sugar syrup and caramelize
it lightly," or some such, there'd have been no need for
clarification.  Probably most of us would have figured it out, but it
never hurts to ask.

>  > >Put the mixture in the oven and bake it.
>>  >When its almost ready take it out the oven and pour the caramel sauce over
>>  >the pudding.
>>  >Put in the oven for five minutes more until the caramel has melted in the
>>  >mixture.
>>  >You can also have cognac or calvados in the mixture.
>>  >Bon appetit!
>>  >Ana
>>
>>  Adamantius (mmmm... flan...)
>
>I top my bread pudding with Jameson's sauce.   Cream, sugar, and
>Jameson's on a double boiler until it thickens.
>
>Good stuff.
>
>Cadoc

Hmmm... I remember once making a rum hollandaise (IOW, sweetened and
with just a dash of lemon, but no vinegar, and, of course, some rum)
at one point, and serving it with paper-thin slices of pineapple... I
wonder... Hmmm...

Adamantius, who might look at bread these days if it were
whole-grain, but otherwise...

eat cake!"
Rousseau, "Confessions", 1782

Holt, 07/29/04