[Sca-cooks] Wassail was A college class... on Coffee

Johnna Holloway johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu
Mon Feb 28 04:26:01 PST 2005

OED has this long very complicated entry on wassail.
There's an association of it where it means basicly
a drinking salute...

A salutation used when presenting a cup of wine to a guest, or drinking
the health of a person, the reply being drink-hail
</cgi/o/oed/oed-idx?type=Lookup&q1=drink-hail&size=First+100>.
C. 1205 Lay. 14309 Reowen..bar an hir honde ane guldene bolle i-uulled
mid wine..& þus ærest sæide in Ænglene londe Lauerd king wæs hæil [C.
1275 wassayl].

Then later comes this--

The liquor in which healths were drunk; esp. the spiced ale used in
Twelfth-night and Christmas-eve celebrations.

wine and wassail (now arch., echoing Shaks.): vaguely, strong drink in
abundance (cf. sense 4).

C. 1300 Havelok 1246 Wyn and ale deden he fete, And made[n] hem glade
and bliþe, Wesseyl ledden he fele siþe;
1494 in Househ. Ord. (1790) 121 When the steward cometh in at the hall
doore with the wassell, he must crie three tymes, Wassell, wassell,
wassell.A.
1548 Hall Chron., Hen. VIII, 9 Then was the wassaill or banket brought
in, and so brake vp Christmas.

So by Tudor times there is an association with Christmas.
But remember that Yule at one time lasted for longer period

of  time.  I have references that say that the Christmas greenery ought
to come
down at Candlemas... which is in February!

Johnnae