[Sca-cooks] A college class... on Coffee

AEllin Olafs dotter aellin at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 28 18:18:39 PST 2005

Yes. When I studied 17th century British History, one of the odd (to us
students) things we learned was about that reversal.

In the 17th century, coffee was new, expensive, and very trendy.
Intellectuals hung out in coffee houses, discussing New Ideas - which
might be *gasp* seditious. (OK, in 17th century England, everyone was
seditious - you took your turn depending on who was in power, but...)
They wanted to alter Society. They were, at least potentially, Dangerous.

The ale house, on the other hand, was where the good solid English
workingman hung out. Hearts of Oak. Reliable. Drinking Honest English
Ale, not that fancy-schmancy foreign stuff... All kinds of polemics
written about this...*G*

Tea came along a little later, with Catherine of Braganza and her dowry,
Bombay.

AEllin