[Sca-cooks] New Year's Prayer

Lawrence Bayne shonsu_78 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 2 18:39:41 PST 2005

This came to me from another list that I am on. It is
sadly poignant.

Heavenly Father/Mother, Help us remember that the jerk
whocut us off in traffic last night is a single mother
who worked nine hours that day and is rushing home to
cook dinner, help with work, do the laundry and spend
a fewprecious moments with her children.

Help us to remember that the pierced, tattooed,
disinterested young man who can't make change
correctly is a worried 19-year-old college student,
balancing his apprehension over final exams with his
fear of not getting his student loans for next
semester.

Remind us, Lord/Lady, that the scary looking bum,
beggingfor money in the same spot every day (who
really ought to get a job!) is a slave to addictions
that we can only imagine in our worst nightmares.

Help us to remember that the old couple walking
annoyingly slow through the store aisles and blocking
our shopping progress are savoring this moment,
knowing that, based on the biopsy report she got back
last week, this will be the last year that they go
shopping together..

Dear Father/Mother, remind us each day that, of all
the gifts you give us, the greatest gift is love. It
is not enough to share that love with those we hold
dear. Open our hearts not to just those who are close
to us,but to all humanity. Let us be slow to judge and
quick to forgive, show patience, empathy and love.
 Thank You

=====
"Mother is the word for God in the eyes of
children everywhere..."
        - Eric Draven, as played by Brendan Lee
                 in the movie "The Crow"