[Sca-cooks] Stefan finally succeeds in making cider

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Tue Jan 4 22:35:42 PST 2005

Some of you my remember my laments about not ever having gotten a hard
apple cider to work out. Of three or four attempts all were failures.
Some explosively so.

Well near the end of October my wife and I held a revel at our house.
In part this was to celebrate the barony managing to successfully put
on two big events, Known World Academy of the Rapier and our large fall
event, within weeks of each other. We tried to have our revel the
weekend after the fall event and our timing was apparently bad. Only a
few people showed up. We found out later that some folks attended a
small, local Scottish fair that we weren't aware of when we scheduled
our revel and many folks simply decided to spend that evening at home,
since they had been spending a lot of time working on the events.

Anyway, I had bought a gallon of cider for the revel and put about half
of it in a crock pot and put in various spices. Only half of it because
crock pot wasn't quite as big as I thought it was. :-) Only a few cups
of the spiced cider were drunk, mostly by me. So when the revel wound
down I poured the remaining cider, minus the spices, back in the gallon
jug with the unused portion, and capping it. Since I didn't have room
in the refrigerator, I left it out.  Well in a few days I noticed it
foaming up. Still not having any room in the refrigerator I continued
to leave it out. Tasting it in early December, it was alcoholic and not
too bad.

At the last minute, I decided to bring it along to our baronial Yule
Revel. I returned with less than half of what I took, so some folks
must also have liked it.

So, sometimes you succeed even when, or perhaps because, you don't try.

Maybe it's time to siphon off what is left and bottle it.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com