[Sca-cooks] Trying Again, A question on Pea Broth

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 11:29:53 PST 2005

I sent this yesterday and it never appeared. So, I am trying again.

Greetings,

I have always functioned under the understanding that when a period
recipe calls for pea (or pease) broth that an appropriate substitution
is a standard vegetable stock.

So, has anyone actually stumbled across a period recipe for pea broth?
I went through the florithingie and read the previous discussion there
and am still in a quandry.

When others are redacting, what do they use for pea broth?

And an additional question, if I wanted to make my own veggie stock
before my feast - does anyone have good recipies for such a thing
other than take a bunch of veggies and boil 'em up?

The specific recipe that I have redacted that takes the pea broth is as follows:

Rumpoldt translated by M. Grasse
30. Take beans/ swell them in water/ and pull the skis off/ make them
with a pea broth and good fresh butter/ also green welltasting herbs/
/that are chopped small/ let simmer therewith and do not oversalt
it...

1/2 lb Dried Black Eyed peas
3 C Veggie Stock
4 T Butter