[Sca-cooks] bagels

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Jan 14 15:57:08 PST 2005

Pennsic before last (I think) we attended a
class on Italian cooking, which included a
handout which included what appears to be a bagel
recipe from Messibugio. I think the class was by
an apprentice of Master Basileus Phocas (sp?),
but am not sure.  The recipe is on page 39 of my
copy of Libro Novo and is the second recipe
given. In the original, the title is:

Brazzatelle di latte, e zuccaro

It occurs to me, after reading Bear's post on
pretzels and bagels, that the word is probably
related to "pretzel" and one could interpret the
recipe as a pretzel rather than a bagel recipe.
Are pretzels boiled and then baked?

Here is the translation that was handed out, and how I made them.

Bagels of Milk and Sugar
from Messibugio, Libro Novo 1557

To make fifty bagels of four ounces each you will
take fifteen lbs of best flour, three ounces of
rose water, three pounds of milk, two pounds of
white sugar, 25 eggs, four ounces of butter, and
you will knead these things together very well.

Then you will make your bagels according to the
method you want to use, and then you will let
rise with careful attention, and after it has
risen you will boil your water, and then you will
place inside the above-mentioned bagels to cook,
and when they come to the top you will take out,
and then you will put in fresh water, and when
you have removed them from within you will put
them to cook in the oven, and if you want to put
inside anise it is a good deed.
-----------------
Here is how I did it:

(1/6 quantities)

2 1/2 lb flour--about 8c
1/2 oz rose water
1/2 lb milk--about 1 c
1/3 lb sugar=2/3 c
4 eggs
8/9 oz butter
(1 c sourdough)
Aniseeds

Note 1: The recipes says it produces fifty bagels
weighing four ounces each, but uses about 18-20
lbs of ingredients, after allowing for cooking
off the water in the milk. I concluded that it
was using a 12 ounce pound, like the troy pound
or the Islamic ratl, rather than a 16 ounce
pound. The finished bagels weighed about 7
avoirdoupois ounces, which is still a little
heavy; on my assumption it should have been 5 1/3
ounces.

Note 2: The recipe is for a leavened bread, but
no leavening is mentioned. My guess is that it is
using either sourdough or a kneading trough with
its own yeast culture. I used sourdough.

Note 3: The reasons for interpreting this as
bagels are the boiling/baking sequence, the size,
and the reference to making the bagels according
to the method you want to use, which suggests
some special shape or shapes.

Combine flour and sugar; cut in the (softened)
butter. Combine the liquid ingredients, including
the sourdough, mix, add to the dry ingredients
and knead until you have a smooth dough. Cover
with a damp towel, let rise at least nine hours.
Then divide into nine equal portions, roll each
into a cylinder about 9-10" long, join the ends
to form a torus (i.e. bagel shape). Leave it
until it has risen again, which should be another
five hours or so at room temperature (i.e. 70°
F). Your rising times may differ from this,
depending on your sourdough culture.

When the bagels have risen, fill a pot at least
five inches deep with water, if possible more.
Bring the water to a boil. Put in as many of the
bagels as you can manage without to much of a
problem of sticking. Boil until they rise to the
top, which should start happening in three or
four minutes. Make sure they have not stuck to
the bottom; if they have loosen with a spatula
(pancake turner). When each bagel floats to the
top take it out, dunk it briefly in a bowl of
water, drain, put on a cookie sheet or the like.
Bake them in a 400° oven until brown--about 20
minutes.

If you like, before putting them in to bake sprinkle on aniseed.

--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com