[Sca-cooks] bagels

Marian Walke marian at buttery.org
Fri Jan 14 16:38:18 PST 2005

David Friedman wrote:

> It occurs to me, after reading Bear's post on pretzels and bagels, that
> the word is probably related to "pretzel" and one could interpret the
> recipe as a pretzel rather than a bagel recipe. Are pretzels boiled and
> then baked?

Traditionally, yes.  But I don't know for sure if the tradition
goes back to period.  I have done some research on this subject
(no surprise to those who knew me as a proprietor of Battlefield
Bakery, "Sign of the Sword and Pretzel") but have not yet found a
definite, conclusive answer.  Part of the problem is that
pretzels were generally produced by professional rather than home
bakers, and they tended to keep their recipes close to the chest.

--Old Marian