[Sca-cooks] Need assistance in Scaling Sausage Spicing

Barbara Benson voxeight at gmail.com
Fri Jan 14 18:59:54 PST 2005

Greetings,

I spent the week working out the spicing for a sausage recipe and will
be commencing full scale production tomorrow (full scale being 35 lbs
- which is not so much.)

The recipe I arrived at working with my hand cranked meat jobbie is as follows:

1 lb Pork
1 lb Ground Beef
1/2 lb Pork Bellies
1 t Kosher Salt
1/2 t Black Pepper
1 t Dried Sage
1 t Dried Marjoram
1 C Water

Tomorrow I will be making a scaled up version that the direct
multiplication would be:
14 lbs Pork
14 lbs Ground Beef
 7 lbs Pork Bellies
14 t Kosher Salt
7 t Black Pepper
14 t Dried Sage
14 t Dried Marjoram
14 C Water

I have never tried to scale anything where I cannot taste as I go so I
was looking for some advice on what might be a problem. I am going to
add the water carefully until I think it is right. I looked up some
info on scaling and it said to half the herbs after the first doubling
which would have me reduce the herbs to 7.5 t apiece and I am afraid I
would end up with really bland sausage.

When I tasted my initial trials I felt that it could use a little more
salt and a little more of one of the herbs so I am not afraid of
spicing. After I make them tomorrow they will be frozen for about a
month and I know the spices will intensify in that time. The only
thing I am afraid of is the pepper getting too peppery.

Any suggestions that anyone has would be extremely helpful. (the
sooner the better).

Great thanks,
Glad Tidings,
Serena da Riva