[Sca-cooks] Need assistance in Scaling Sausage Spicing

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
Fri Jan 14 20:05:11 PST 2005

> I have never tried to scale anything where I cannot taste as I go so I
> was looking for some advice on what might be a problem. I am going to
> add the water carefully until I think it is right. I looked up some
> info on scaling and it said to half the herbs after the first doubling
> which would have me reduce the herbs to 7.5 t apiece and I am afraid I
> would end up with really bland sausage.

First, do this in 3 batches if you can. 5 lbs is about all you can
usefully stuff at once, anyway. That makes it a bit easier. First, put
in about half the amount of spice, and smell the mixture. Then add
another 1/4 the amount, and fry a tiny bit. That way you will be able to
tell how it comes out. (Advice from the experienced sausage maker who
lent me his sausage stuffer for my Conviviencia feast.)

-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne at fiedlerfamily.net
"The tumult and the shouting dies/ The captains and the kings depart
And we are left with large supplies / Of cold blancmange and
	rhubarb tart." -- Ronald Knox