[Sca-cooks] Fw: [mk-cooks] Periodness and a query....

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Mon Jan 17 23:52:51 PST 2005

Was discussing corned beef with a fairly new person on MK Cooks, and Huen
chimed in with the following story. Not only did it lead me into a bit of
online research, which brought me to an interesting website, but the story
itself is great, not only for Jadwiga and her many mustards, but for the
gentle asking about Scottish foods.

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

> Do you know what powdered beef is? I've seen references to it in early >
17th c manuscripts.

> My former mistress once told me that she thought it was related to
> corned beef, but she wasn't sure.

(Website is http://www.pepysdiary.com/p/381.php- putting it here for you
guys will now make sense).

> Here's a funny story about powdered beef - it's from Taylor's Feast,
> 1638.

> Three Gentlemen of the ancient race of Redshanks, (now called
> Highland-men, because they inhabite in the Mountaynous parts of the
> North of Scotland) these three having occasion to come into England,
> being at their Inne, had to their Dinner a peece of powderd Beefe and
> Mustard: now neither of them had never seene Mustard before,
> wherefore one of them demanded what Deele it was? the Host
> answered, that it was good sawce for their meate; Sawce said the
> other? it hath an ill looke, I pray let me see you eat some first, then
the
> Host took a bit of Beefe, and dipt it in the Mustard, & did eate it: the
> Highland-man presently tooke his meat and rowl'd it in the Mustard, and >
began to chaw, but it was so strong, that it was no sooner in his mouth,
> but it set him a snuffing and neesing, that he told his Friends, (Ducan
> and Donald) that hee was slaine with the grey Grewall in the wee-dish;
> he bid them draw their Whineards, and sticke the false Lowne, (their
> host) hee pray'd them to remember his last love to his wife and Barnes, >
and withall to have a care to beware of the grey grewall, for the Deele
> was in't. But after the force of the Mustard was spent, the Gentleman left
> neesing, all was pacified, mine Host was pardoned, and Mustard was
> good sawce for powderd Beefe.

> Huen

Saint Phlip,
CoD