[Sca-cooks] Fw: [kl] Colonial Knives

Phlip phlip at 99main.com
Thu Jan 20 14:33:03 PST 2005

This question just came across my knife List, another mundane smithing list
I'm on, and I thought I'd put it to these two forums, and see what Cooks and
Leathersmiths might have to say. First is the gentleman's question:

Ene bichizh ogsen baina shuu...

"Hello my name is Ted Bodley, I have a small knife co. in Alaska and have
been enjoying this site for some time. Thanks for all the wonderful input. I
have come across many knives on e-bay sold as food choppers. They are
similar to our ulu knives. A six inch half moon blade with a handle of many
different types, wood cast iron,pewter. Does anyone know of any books or
periodicals that could give me some insight into these knives? Has anyone
any personal knowledge of them?  They have been advertised as colonial and
some are dated from mid 1800's to mid 1900's. We are also trying to compile
more info on ulus if anyone can help us with any info as to origin, name of
the ulu in different regions etc. it would be most appreciated.

"Thanks Ted "

My response was as follows:

"They were recently discussed on SCA-Cooks List, since their primary current
usage is as cooking knives- I'll fwd your question along to them. Also, for
what it's worth, the blade shape is very similar to a knife used in
leatherworking, the "head" knife, which I believe is pre-1600. The chief
difference is that the Head knife is shaped rather like a "T" with the place
to hold it being at the bottom of the stem, whereas the ulu is shaped rather
like a "D" with the hand holding the upright. I'll fwd your question along
to both Lists, see what they say.

"One thing I'm thinking is that prior to the arrival of Europeans, the
Inuit,
like most native Americans, were confined to the use of stone tools, and the
ulu slape would make a much more efficient usage for stone, than a long,
narrow blade. Perhaps the ulu was adapted from a specialized hand axe, and
made into metal by traders seeking to have a better but familiar tool to
trade? "

Any insight that anyone can provide would be of interest. Magnus, Bear, I'm
particularly thinking you two might have something of interest to say.

Saint Phlip,
CoD

 Blacksmith's credo.

cat.