[Sca-cooks] Period German Mustard Recipes (long)

Irmgart irmgart at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 12:15:52 PST 2005

Greetings!

I am planning a German feast for Atlantia's KASF on March 5 (eep!),
and was looking at sauces for the meats.

I think what I want to do is make a mustard for each course.

This is my first feast "all by myself" so, in some ways I'm afraid I'm
over reaching, but it should all come out right, I've got a lot of
backup :)

This is the tentative menu:

http://demi-hare.blogspot.com/2005/01/tentative-menu.html

Here are mustard recipes that already translated:

34 To make the mustard for dried cod (welserin)

Take mustard powder, stir into it good wine and pear preserves and put
sugar into it, as much as you feel is good, and make it as thick as
you prefer to eat it, then it is a good mustard.

194 A mustard (welserin)

Pound almonds small and strain them with vinegar through a clean cloth
bag, then it is called white mustard. If you would have it yellow,
color it yellow, then it can be served with calves's or deer feet.

Brown Mustard Sauce (Rumpolt)
12 Braun Senff mit lauterm Essig angemacht/ ist auch gut.
Brown mustard made up with clear vinegar/ is also good

And here are mustard recipes that *aren't* translated, at least
anywhere I can find them, and my rather pathetic attempts to translate
using online sources:

>From Koch vnd Kellermeisterey 1566
(http://staff-www.uni-marburg.de/~gloning/kochkell.htm)

Senff zu machen.
Süssen Senff mal mit der Würtz/ vnd wann er wol gemahlen ist/ so gib
jm ein wall in einer Pfannen auff einem Fewr/ rür jn wol mit wenig
Saltz/ behalt jn/ vnd mehre jn mit deren Würtzen gesotten/ vermach jn
gar wol. Wiltu den zu essen machen/ so seud einen guten Honigwein/ vnd
temperier den darmit/ saltz jn/ vnd würtz jn/ kom zu prüffen/ so ist
er gute

Sweet mustard time with the sausage/ and when it is well ground/ so
give at a wall(bank/parapet/rampart?) in a pan from the fire/ [rür] in
good with a little salt/ keep in/ and more in with their sausage hard
boiled/ to give in well cooked. You will then make to eat/ also [seud]
a good Honeywine/ and temper the stomach/ salt in/ and sausage in/
[kom] close testing/ so is it good.

Ein ander behende weiß.
Temperier Honig wol mit Essig/ Wein oder Fleischbrüh/ vnd rür den Senff darein.

One other agile white. (Another easy white?)
Temper honey well with vinegar/ wine or meat both/ and [rür] the mustard therin.

Rosin vnd Feigen gesotten mit Wein oder Wasser/ damit Senff temperiret
ist/ oder Rosenwasser/ vnd gestossen Zimetrinden darein gethan/
subtilen Leuten.

Rasins and figs hardboiled with wine or water/ so that mustard is
tempered/ or rosewater/ and hardboil [zimetrinden - something
crusts... possibly cinnamon? Zimt is cinnamon] therein [gethan -
possibly getan (done)]/ subtle people.

OK, so none of these really makes sense, I think Ruhr might mean
stir... Ruhr means dysentary in modern German, so I don't think that's
right. But stir would make sense in context.

So, 1) can anyone help me make my translations less mangled?

2) does anyone know of other period German mustards?

I'm going to be fairly cosmopolitan and not get region/decade specific
with this feast, even though I really kind of want to, just because
I'm afraid I'll get *too* bogged down in it.

Also, does anyone have a period reference to smoked trout *anywhere*?

Thanks bunches!!!

-Irmgart