[Sca-cooks] German Mustards Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 20, Issue 95

Cat . tgrcat2001 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 21 15:42:03 PST 2005

Gentle Irmgard

Please take babblefish translations with a LARGE grain
of salt.  For instance, Wuertz is spice or seasoning,
not the same word as Wurst aka sausage. I have done
some quick off the cuff translations below, though
there are still a couple of words I would need to look
up as I have no clue what they mean.

To make mustard
Sweet mustard grind with the spice/ and when it is
well ground/ so give
him a roll (turn) in a pan on a fire/ stir him wel
with little
salt/ keep him/ and increase him with the simmered
spices/ make it
quite well.  If you want to make it to eats(food?) so
simmer a good honeywine/ and
temper it therewith/ salt him/ and spice him/ come to
check (proof)/ so he is good.

An other (behende – slippery?) white
Temper honey well with vinegar/ wine or meat broth/
and stir the mustard
therein.

Raisins and figs simmered with wine or water/
therewith mustard tempered
is/ or rosewater/ and crushed cinnamon-bark put
therein/
(subtilen?) Persons.

I really like the pear mustard variation from
Welserin.
Pear Mustard Sauce *
10. Simmer pears in sweet must/ put them on a clean
board and let cool/ let the must continue to simmer/
till it is thick/ lat it thereafter become cold/ put a
brown mustard/ and also put the poached pears thereto,
so it becomes good and welltasting.

2 lbs pears, peeled, cored and cut in chunks,
3/4 C white wine and 1/2 cup apple juice (is what I
had, otherwise use  1 can white grape juice
concentrate, diluted only with 2 cans of water)
1/2C sugar
1/4C mustard powder
1/4C cider vinegar

Simmer pears in the grape juice till tender, remove
pears and put through a food mill and let cool.
Continue to simmer the juice till it thickens
somewhat, let cool.  Combine mustard and vinegar,
blend and let sit to mellow.  Combine all ingredients
and let mellow in the refrigerator for several days.
* This is an adaptation, I believe the original leaves
the pears whole, but I wanted a sauce for the meats,
so I mushed it all together.

I hope this helps,
I will try to check the fish chapter in Rumpolt when I
get home to see if they mention smoking trout or any
fish.

In Service
Catrin von Berlin called Gwen Cat
Scola Metallorum, Caerthe , Outlands