[Sca-cooks] bay berries

Stefan li Rous StefanliRous at austin.rr.com
Mon Jan 24 16:54:23 PST 2005

Arwen said:
> As promised, here are the sausage recipes I have used:
>
> Lucanian Sausages
> Apicius, #61:
> <snip>
Thanks for the recipes. Hmmm. Has the original poster who was
mentioning the quote from a Laurel?, printed out the period sausage
recipes which have appeared here in just the last few days to plop them
down in front of this person? Not to mention the ones still
unelaborated on in the Florilegium and elsewhere. I still think a
master collection of the period sausage and related items would be to
have.

> Of them all, I think my favorite was the first Lucanian sausage --
> despite the fact that I didn't know what "condiments" to add and did
> not have any bay berries to put in, they were very tasty.  Even my
> husband, who despises nuts and is generally not fond of sausage anyway,
> ate them and said they were good!
Bay berries? Plenty of bay leaf sources around, but I don't know where
you would get bay berries, unless you had someone with a laurel/bay
tree. Anyone know? Are these bay berries used fresh? Or dried?

Anyone know if using a couple or a bunch of bay leaves would have a
similar effect as using a couple of bay berries?  Ummm. I assume not,
since you remove bay leaves before eating, but these bay berries are
left in the sausage, like you do with peppercorns for some sausages.

Stefan
--------
    Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas
StefanliRous at austin.rr.com