[Sca-cooks] Re: butternut squash

Ruth Tannahill rtanhil at fast.net
Mon Jan 24 17:37:45 PST 2005

Bear wrote:
>>Sounds like something I would have enjoyed.  While the recipes may have
>>been period, the butternut squash probably isn't.  Butternut squash is
>>Cucurbita moschata and is a New World winter squash.  Additionally, the
>>butternut squash was hybridized by the French botanist, Auguste
>>Parmentier,
>>in the 18th Century.

Gunthar replied:>
> This is amusing in the fact that it reminded me of an A&S where
> one of the presenters being showcased for a Laurel was offering
> a very tasty chicken/squash soup. When I told him the butternut
> squash was native to North America and a likely candidate for the
> soup he was using was more closely related to a zucchini he
> replied that he knew but this tasted better. Um...as an A&S entry.
> This person is now a Laurel for cooking but I won't go into that.

What about as a substitute for Asian pumpkin (which might or might not be
period)? I'm going to dig through some books when I can find them.

Right now, my house is in shambles. My lord just moved into the annex of my
house from a different town, which involved a lot of reorganizing. The
entire house right now is a hopeless jumble of his stuff and my stuff, and I
don't know where large pieces of furniture are, let alone little books.
Seriously. We couldn't remember where we put a freezer. In the end, we found
that we hadn't moved it at all, just burried it under a pile of boxes, but
you get the idea. We're contemplating the wisdom of placing two hopeless
packrats in the same structure.

When my books surface, I will look into the periodicity of Asian squash.

Berelinde